It’s not a myth. First time in human history, Scientists found a way to turn back our biological clock.
In 2009, Elizabeth Blackburn from UCSF, Carol Greider from Johns Hopkins University and Jack Szostak from Havard Medical School were awarded Nobel Prize in Physiology for their joint discovery of Telomeres, for their work has unraveled “how chromosomes are protected by telomeres and the enzyme telomerase”.
Telomeres are the the protective caps at the end of each strand of DNA. When we are young, our telomeres are long, but every time a cell divides the telomeres gets shorter.
Over time, telomeres got enough wear and tear, they can no long protect DNA. each time when cell divides, new cells come into being with defects, that is when we start developing signs and disease of old age.
Basically, the length of telomeres indicates your biological age and decides your overall health on the cellular level.
Next time, when you go to see your doctor for annual check-up, the first test you should ask for should be telomeres measurement, cause telomeres length is the strongest indicator of how quickly you are aging and how old you really are.
What can we do to protect , or even lengthen telomeres so that we are able to turn back our biological clock , slow downing the aging process?
The key is telomrase, an enzyme to rebuild our telomeres. when we turn it on, our body starts creating younger and younger cells.
Turning on telomrase is nothing out of novelty , we can actually make it happen everyday.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits, more magnesium-rich foods like leafy greens is even better to lengthen telomeres. The magnesium can preserve and repair our damaged DNA
- Constant Exercise will surly boost your immunity system and therefore, protect telomeres from wear and tear.
- Potent anti-oxidant intake, be it anti-oxidant veggies /fruits or supplements.
- Good stress mangement. slow down your pace, find time for yoga and meditation will both help your lower your stress and lengthen your telomeres (nothing grows right under stress).
- Take diet supplements which contain minerals and vitamins, probiotics that our body needs daily.
To your health!