French toast has become a inseparable part of my family. every Sunday morning, I serve warm, sweet, golden brown french toast. it also offers precious family time. my 5 year old daughter will volunteer to help, crack the egg, pour the milk, dip the bread…..
Never never use white bread for this recipe.it is full of refined/ empty calories. my recommend is to go whole wheat. it provides you great nutrition and satiety , plus take way longer to digest, meaning you feel full longer. no more blood sugar spikes and crashes.
It’s best to visit your local baker for freshly baked whole wheat bread. if not, at local grocery, you can always find multi-grain or whole grain bread. it should be the 2nd best option moms can trust. there are so many different whole grains to choose from! oats with quinoa, whole wheat, buckwheat….. with different grains, comes with different trace minerals.
Then the eggs. I buy eggs from my neighbor, she raise 10 chickens, and lay eggs everyday. My, those are the best organic eggs I ever had! fresh organic eggs usually have hard shell, when crack open, you notice the egg white and yolk are bound close together, while white are clear, yolk has bright orange color.
What to put in the dipping mixture? I put in pure vanilla extract (it costs more than artificial one but hey, it is real vanilla ), cinnamon powder, sometimes a bit orange zest if available.
To sum up:
Ingredients: 4 slices of whole grain bread, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk (I normally not measure, just follow experience), 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder, butter (for cooking), pure maple syrup (for serving), fresh strawberries or blueberries (for topping)
- whisk eggs, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon powder together in a big flat bowl
- One by one dip the bread in the mixture two side, make sure both sides are evenly coated with dipping mixture. Then transfer it to a plate
- heat frying pan with butter, when butter starts bubbles, throw in the bread, cook it over medium heat.
- Only turn it over when one side is golden brown, do the same to the other side.
- Serve it warm with pure maple syrup and freshly cut fruits. Enjoy!
On this plate, we have all the nutrients required for breakfast: good carbs, fiber, vitamin, minerals and protein. Make it weekly routine, your family will fall in love with it!