Cinnamon is an ancient herb. as far back as in the 13th century, people started using it in ointment and perfume. nowadays, its aroma and flavor make it one of the most favorite spice in the kitchen. But benefits of cinnamon go beyond kitchen, it can settle your stomach, boost metabolism and is a memory enhancer etc.
Researchers have concluded that the health benefits of cinnamon can be obtained in the form of its pure bark, essential oils, in ground spice form (which is bark powder), or in extract form when its special phenolic compounds, flavonoids, and antioxidants are isolated. These compounds make cinnamon one of the most beneficial spices on earth, giving it antioxidant, anti-inflammatory , anti-diabetic, anti-microbial, immunity-boosting, cancer and heart disease-protecting abilities.
As a spice that cures, here are top 5 health benefits of cinnamon:
- Soothe scratchy throat : By sipping on some cinnamon infused water, your throat will get instant relief thanks to its anti-inflammation property.
- Fight diabetes: Cinnamon is known to have an anti-diabetic effect. It helps lower blood sugar levels and also can improve sensitivity to the hormone insulin, which is the vital hormone needed for keeping blood sugar levels balanced.
- Treat acne and dry skin: Mix some cinnamon powder with rose water and apply, leave on for 10 minutes, wash off and pat dry. The anti-microbial properties prevent the growth of acne causing bacteria. It also tightens your pores and makes your skin smooth.
- Digestive assistance:Cinnamon improves digestion and absorption. It is an anti-bacterial and heals infections in the GI track. If you’re suffering from an upset stomach or cramps, cinnamon tea can bring lots relief. For diarrhea, it also has surprising curing effect: 1/2 tsp cinnamon mixed with yogurt will heal your up!
- Promote oral health: Cinnamon removes oral bacteria, it has the ability to naturally remove bad breath without adding any chemicals to the body. For this reason cinnamon has also been traditionally used as tooth powder and to treat toothaches, dental problems, oral macrobiota, and mouth sores. Use toothpaste with cinnamon leaves an astounding fresh breath!